Buttery, homemade croutons with savory Gruyere Cheese. Serve along side a hearty soup or accompanied by a seasonal salad.
These croutons are topped with Gruyere Cheese. You can substitute with Swiss, Emmental, Jarlsberg, or Raclette cheese. – all of which offer a very similar flavor profile to Gruyere.
The croutons are toasted in the broiler oven; if you have an air fryer, this can be conveniently warmed up by using the Air Broiler setting in the Air Fryer. Easy peasy for Homemade Croutons!
These are perfect along side a rustic or hearty soup, like my Butternut Squash Soup. You can serve alongside to dip, or float on top of the soup for some extra savoriness.
Instructions for Homemade Croutons
Simply grate some gruyere cheese on top of the baguette slices; here, I used a vegetable peeler to get the wider slices. Because of the melting point of Gruyere, the cheese melts quickly and melds into the toasty bread. Yummy! And top with minced thyme and salt and pepper.
Here’s the finished product….Print
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Savory Gruyere Croutons, perfect addition to hearty soups, salads, or as a snack.
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 12 1/4-inch-thick baguette bread slices
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Kosher Salt and black pepper
- Preheat a broiler. If using air fryer, set to air broil mode.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the butter on one side of each slice of baguette. Arrange the bread, butter side up, on a baking sheet.
- Add the gruyere cheese, thyme and salt & pepper to each baguette slice. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and broil until the cheese melts, about 1 – 3 minutes. Be careful to not burn the cheese!
- Once cool, cut bread into bite-size croutons.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Homemade croutons, Gruyere Crouton, Gruyere Toast
Leave a Reply