- 2 pounds spare ribs (pork loin back ribs or St. Louis spare ribs, separated into individual ribs)
- 3 slices Ginger
- 3 pieces five star anise
- 6 cups Water
- 1/3 cup Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce (
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or Cooking Wine
- 1/3 cup Rock Sugar
- Add the ribs to a large heavy pot and cover with cold water over high heat. After boiling for 1 minute, turn off heat, and rinse ribs under cold water. Return ribs to pot.
- Turn stove to medium high heat. Add five star anise and ginger to pot with ribs. Add water to pot until the ribs are just covered. Add light and dark soy sauces, and cooking wine. Once the water is boiling, lower heat, cover pot with a lid and cook for 1 1/2 hour (90 minutes).
- Add rock sugar and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Turn stove to medium-high and cook until the sauce is reduced and sticky to the ribs.
- Plate and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Jing Du Pai Gu, Chinese Spare Ribs, Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs