Chicken Coconut Curry – So easy to make is so easy to make and healthier than what you can get in the restaurant. This version is full of hearty vegetables and pairs well with Arroz Con Coco to soak up the creamy goodness! This is a perfect weeknight dinner with plenty of leftovers for the work week!!
Hearty Yellow Coconut Curry Recipe
Hearty and healthy chicken coconut curry that’s made with full-fat coconut milk and Madras Curry.
Layered with sweet onions, carrots, potatoes, and red bell peppers, the sweetness balances out the spiciness from the Madras Curry. I love that this dish is full of flavor and texture, and the chicken is extra juicy from cooking in the coconut milk.
I thicken the curry with cornstarch at the end, so that you can easily soak up all the deliciousness with our Arroz con Coco (Coconut Milk Rice), Jasmine Rice, or Trader Joe’s Garlic Naan.
Curry powder is a mixture of turmeric and other spices that can be blended to create a scale of mild to hot spiciness.
Madras curry is a South Indian spice sourced from the Chennai region. Deep flavors of chili and coriander are balanced with turmeric, cumin seeds, cinnamon, and cloves. Madras curry is a bit spicier than yellow curry powder due to the addition of Cayenne pepper.
This recipe uses a ratio of 2 tablespoons of Madras Curry powder to 1 can of coconut milk. I find that the heat level is about medium. To adjust to a milder flavor, use 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of Madras Curry powder, or add greek yogurt to the finished dish for an extra creaminess.
Trong Food Madras Curry Powder is a staple in our household and can be found in most asian grocery stores; there are no artificial colors or flavors in this blend, so the flavors stand out on their own with vibrance. If you can’t find this in the stores, a suitable substitute is using yellow curry powder and adding a pinch of Cayenne Pepper to the dish to achieve the heat and flavor of Madras.Print
Coconut Chicken Curry
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
Quick, easy, healthy Coconut Chicken Curry
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Chicken , cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small sliver of ginger, sliced and minced
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Madras Curry Powder
- 1 14-ounce can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 small potatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add chicken and cook until chicken turns white.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and curry powder and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes more.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and red bell peppers. Add coconut milk and water and bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with a few teaspoons of water until dissolved. Add cornstarch mixture to the curry to thicken.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with rice or naan.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Main Cuisine
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Chicken coconut curry, madras curry, main dish, asian, indian
Leave a Reply